Saturday, November 11, 2006

Who's dumb?





There's a very pervasive trend amongst Westerners to shit talk at various levels the quirks of Korean culture. Some of the observations seem warranted (ex. very liberal interpretation of driving rules), and some of them are debatable. Some guys from the West seem to get off on putting down the culture and locals here. So I try to take a step back from judging things which seem to indicate a fault in the people and/or society here, at least until I can observe enough to make a limited conclusion.
There is a perfect example to this end. I was trying to have my laptop fixed after it fell to shit on me one night a couple of months ago. I was surprised to have a KO teacher advise me to go to Kangnam (eastern part of Seoul south of the river), a 30-40 minute trip, instead of just taking the bus across the river to Yongsan (15-20 mins). I could have charged that to KO's being ignorant about their city. In fact, many times folks have little idea of areas outside of their travels here.
However, it would have been real ignorant to assume (as many I speak with do) that this lack of geography is a KO trait. Yesterday a co-teacher (real nice guy) from the west advised me to make the same trip Kangnam instead of going to Jongno for my KO lessons. They are pretty much equal in time wasted (he may know something I don't, but I would rather take one bus than 3 trains). So is he just not good with directions? Here's another case of a Westerner with different (worse) directional skills than I. This guy has clearly been here a short time (he still doesn't have a cell), but has not figured out the general location of one of the most famous areas of Seoul. Two things that every newcomer has are high-speed internet access, and a subway map. Can I assume therefore that Westerners are shit at geography?
Lesson: don't judge these KOs, West ye be judged.
ps The pic is not loading properly, if you want to see his post, click on the pic.

3 Comments:

Blogger moviequyn said...

I love your movie reviews - check out mine: http://moviequyn.blogspot.com

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can keep up with Laurie at www.notjustaboutcancer.blogspot.com

And I can't wait for your next report on yours, Boogs.

SSW

2:13 PM  
Blogger Meen said...

hey. WTF? where are you?
send me an address i can write to you at. i have some shyt i want to send you.
it's like you disappeared. email me back @ my work email.
busted.

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home